Correcting Information

The Information Act 2002 gives you a right to apply to correct personal information about you held by Northern Territory public sector organisations.

Personal information is government information from which your identity is apparent or can be reasonably ascertained. Government information means records required to be kept by NT public sector organisations as evidence of their activities. It includes computer records. It includes personnel information.

It is limited to records held by the organisation. It does not cover knowledge or views held by staff unless they have been recorded. It does not cover documents that once existed but have been destroyed.

An organisation does not have to correct information that is historical only.

  • You can apply to have personal information about you corrected on the grounds that it is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date.

  • You apply in writing to the government organisation that holds the information. So, for example, you would apply to the Department of Employment, Education and Training for correction of information it holds, or the Police Force for correction of information it holds.

    You can read more at Correction Make an application and Correction What the Organisation will do

  • The organisation can:

    • make the correction you specify
    • make a different correction
    • refuse to correct the information.

    If the organisation does not make the correction you specified, you are entitled to request the organisation to take reasonable steps to associate with the information a statement of your opinion that the information is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date.

  • The Information Regulations do not provide a fee for an FOI correction application.

  • The correction scheme does not apply to Commonwealth government agencies or private businesses.

    There is a Commonwealth FOI scheme for correction of personal information held by Commonwealth government agencies. If you want to correct information held by a Commonwealth agency, you can contact the agency.

    There is a Commonwealth Privacy scheme that provides for correction of personal information held by Commonwealth government agencies and some private businesses.

    You can contact the agency or business concerned, or the Federal Privacy Commissioner to see whether they are covered by a Privacy scheme.